What is an Elevator Consultant and Why should you hire one?
An Elevator Consultant is someone who has extensive experience in the industry, knowledge of the codes, product cost, and understands the complexity and inner workings of elevators, escalators, moving walks, dumbwaiters, and handicap lifts, also known as vertical transportation. Elevator consultants act as an extension of their client and can recommend available options for existing equipment or the design of entirely new equipment, depending on the building application.
Typically hired by a Property Management Company, building owner, developer, Architect, or engineer; an elevator consultant has the expertise to recommend appropriate solutions for short and long-term safety and efficient operation in all market segments.
A VDA Elevator Consultant will:
- Provide an unbiased opinion of your Vertical Transportation Systems condition.
- Guide you through the process of managing or redesigning your system.
- Determine project scope requirements and develop an accurate Capital Plan.
- Help you negotiate affordable project pricing.
- Identify the pros and cons of local companies within your area.
- Have familiarity with local labor force availability, lead times, and scheduling within your market.
- Provide knowledge and understanding of most major component failures/malfunctions.
- Know the facts on what is, and what isn’t considered obsolete throughout the industry.
- Understand the realistic maintainability and reliability of the equipment.
- Determine realistic expectations for various types of equipment.
- Identify required “Related Building Work” that may be additionally required as a part of a project.
- Be aware of local code requirements.
- Review elevator contractors billing to determine its legitimacy.
- Have knowledge and understanding of all industry norms, terminology, and practices.
- Provide access to upper management of Major Elevator Contractors, if ever needed.
- Make sound recommendations that you can be confident in trusting.