Edison National Historic Site
Edison National Historic Site contains two units: the Laboratory Unit has 14 structures, including six which were built by Thomas A. Edison in 1887 and the Glenmont Unit, a 15.7 acre estate in used as a private residence by the Edison family.
On February 11, 2003, Edison National Historic Site closed in order to make improvements to Glenmont, the Edison home, and 14 historic structures in the Laboratory Unit. Improvements include upgraded fire detection and suppression systems and new heating and air conditioning systems. Several historic rooms, previously closed to the public, have been re-opened and new exhibits were installed throughout the Site. A new elevator was installed between buildings 5 and 6 allows visitors access to the second and third floors of the main laboratory (Building 5). Finally, Building 11, dismantled and sent to the Henry Ford Museum in 1940, has been returned and reinstalled on Site.