Alfred E. Smith State Office Building
The Smith Building was the City of Albany’s first skyscraper when it officially opened in 1930. In 1945, the building was designated the Alfred E. Smith State Office Building in honor of the popular former governor who died the previous year. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The rehabilitation and construction project at the Alfred E. Smith Building, which began in 2002, is the largest restoration and renovation project in the building’s history. The work was overseen by the State Office of General Services (OGS). This building is 585,931 gross square foot with 34 floors, 2,700 windows, and an observation desk. The top three floors are used solely for mechanical purposes.
VDA provided services for modernization of eighteen (18) gearless elevators and one (1) geared passenger elevator, as well as for the installation of one (1) new hydraulic passenger elevator. The project was completed in September 2006.